Sweaty feet can be uncomfortable and embarrassing.
However, you don’t have to just put up with it.... read on to see how we can help
Why do feet sweat so much?
There are more sweat glands in our feet than anywhere else in the body. Sweat glands in the feet are also particularly active.
They secrete all the time, not just in response to heat or exercise.In short, even healthy feet sweat a lot. It’s just a part of our anatomy!
What if the sweating is really excessive?
You could be suffering from a condition known as hyperhidrosis. Signs and symptoms of hyperhidrosis:
· Your feet sweat excessively in all seasons, not just during the summer heat.
· Your foot sweat is truly excessive. For instance if your feet slide around in your shoes.
· Your feet look very pale, have a whitish or wet appearance.
· Your feet are particularly smelly. Due to the excessive moisture, infections can be common, which in turn produce foul odours.
· You feel anxious about your foot sweat and smell, to the point where it is affecting your day to day life.
What can I do about it?
There are a number of things you can do to help alleviate the discomfort of sweaty feet:
· Keep your feet as cool and dry as possible.
· Wash and dry your feet carefully every day using an antibacterial soap.
· Use an anti-fungal agent to prevent infections.
· Wear socks made from natural fibres to draw moisture away from your feet instead of trapping it.
· Change your shoes and socks on a regular basis.
If you still feel your sweaty feet are having a negative impact on your life, we would strongly recommend visiting a Podiatrist as it may be you need a more tailor made treatment plan. This could include oral medication, treatment for on-going fungal or bacterial infections or referral for more advanced therapies.